Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tucson's Montana Avenue Satisfies Any Sweet Tooth

As you will soon see from all my restaurant reviews, I love to eat! Since every one's perception of a dining experience is different, I'm going to tell you about mine, you give it a try and then feel free to offer feedback.
A small group of friends and I recently visited one of the many Fox owned restaurant's, Montana Avenue. Located on Grant Road, it's convenient central location was perfect as we were all going to be in the area anyway, so rush hour traffic wasn't a significant problem. It's got a hip, urban vibe to it, and the dress code is "Tucson casual", which means pretty much anything goes. Prices range from $15-$30 per entree, but there's a great variety of appetizers so you'll likely spend more. The menu offers "regional American cooking" and a terrific wine list. The owner, Sam Fox, has several great restaurants in Tucson and Phoenix that offer a wide range of delicacies. Most are upscale (it's all relative I guess) and draw a clientele of young business professionals. The bar area in many of the restaurants is a focal point, and large groups tend to congregate here for the "after work cocktail". Fox Restaurants has a great reputation for wonderful food and service. One thing I must point out is that you need to make a reservation! Luckily I did, because when we arrived a 6:15 the dining room was already full.
Unlike my first visit here, on this occasion our service was spotty. I noticed that the bartender was also our food server, which led me to believe that the restaurant was short staffed. Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable, and he maintained a calm disposition even though I could see he was overwhelmed.
Aahhh....now for the food! I felt like trying a healthy entree so I could later indulge in desert. I ordered the special, which was a broiled Mahi served on a bed of cranberry beans (flavored with bacon) , sauteed tomatoes and arugula. Very pretty presentation, but my Mahi was extremely overcooked. A friend ordered the Shrimp Risotto, which was wonderful, as was the Grilled Ahi and Flank Steak. Another friend ordered the Pork, which was extremely undercooked.
I must say that Montana Avenue has, overall, the best deserts in town. My favorite is the Bread Pudding, which is incredible (it really gives the bread pudding at Vivace a run for its money). Two other guests decided on the warm Cinnamon Sugar Donut with vanilla custard dipping sauce. Numerous other deserts are available and all are very good.
Although the meal was not a complete success, I'm sure we will go back for another try. Montana Avenue has a great atmosphere, and as a general rule the Sam Fox restaurants provide exceptional food and service. If all else is a flop, at least I have the bread pudding!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing....

___________________
Julie
Entertainment at one stop