Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A day in the life of me

My clients and friends are always amazed when I talk about some of the things I do as a real estate professional. They're first comment is generally "I didn't know real estate agents did that" after I rehash my day's activities. Every real estate professional has their daily "to do" list, but I seem to take on some odd jobs that others don't.

I can honestly say that no two days are the same and I've learned a lot of new things in this job. Just the other day I learned how to have a tenant (the home owner's daughter) evicted from a home and how to have an abandoned vehicle towed from a private residence (Gob's Towing is the only one that doesn't require vehicle documentation). I've spent mornings landscaping (picking weeds and trimming trees) at one of my listings. Today I spent the afternoon at another listing, getting estimates for paint and flooring contractors. I returned an abandon BBQ propane tank to a local convenience store. Each day I stop by one of my listings to water plants and chase away the bird that keeps trying to build a nest over the front door. Yesterday I shopped for staging materials so that I could decorate one of my listings (this may sound fun but it's not easy hopping from one store to another shopping for the perfect bargain item in 90 degree temperatures).

I do take on the "normal" tasks that every real estate agent spends their day trying to complete. When I'm in my office I spend much of my time on the computer, reviewing new listings and price adjustments to see if there's anything that fits the needs of any of my out of state buyers. I'm also evaluating comps for the current home owners that are trying to figure out if they can sell their home and upgrade to a new one while the Tucson market favors home buyers. Today I was arguing with a home builder about the appraisal that's far below the agreed upon sale price. I'm constantly sending out and responding to emails, which can be a never ending job since my Blackberry's become and extension of my body.

I think every real estate agent takes on some responsibilities that they never dreamed they would, but it's all part of the job. I'm sure some have taken on tasks that they really wish they hadn't. But a successful agent realizes that certain things need to be done to help a real estate transaction along, and sometimes they're the only one that can do it. All in a days work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think every real estate agent takes on some responsibilities that they never dreamed they would, but it's all part of the job.


___________________
Julie
Free HD DVR Receiver Upgrade