Monday, August 25, 2008

Tucson's a great place if you're not flying through TIA


A big problem that myself and a lot of others have with Tucson is how difficult it is to travel to other destinations from our airport. My husband travels all week long so I'm very experienced with most Tucson airlines. It seems like every time he or I fly we encounter some type of problem that makes our travel day a nightmare. Depending on where you're going, there's a good chance you'll be flying all day and faced with several layovers to get to your destination. TIA has seen a 41% decrease in flights this year and it's impacted the travel plans and pocketbooks of almost every Tucson traveler.

Currently there's only ten airlines that offer nonstop flights from Tucson, with about 18 non stop destinations. These airlines include American, US Airways, Delta and Southwest. If you're flying directly to any of their major hubs you're in great shape, but not everyone is making Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta or Albuquerque their final destination. If you're departing from Tucson, you can bet you'll have a stop over in one of those four cities. ExpressJet was the eleventh airline that provided non stop service to and from Tucson but this service will be discontinued September 2 when they'll cease flying here and in the rest of the country.


(Warning...through much of this blog I'll be venting my feelings about US Airways so I apologize in advance. Since this is a major airline in Arizona I feel the need to warn travelers)

Besides the lack of non stop flights to and from Tucson, the cost to travel from our local airport can be more expensive then departing from Phoenix's hub, Sky Harbor. A large number of fliers actually drive/shuttle to Phoenix and fly direct because there are more non stop options and ticket prices can actually be cheaper. When flying with US Airways, flights directly from Phoenix are often less expensive then flying from Tucson and connecting in Phoenix. I've seen ticket prices cost as much as $300 more when departing from Tucson instead of Phoenix.

One huge problem for US Airways is that the majority of their flights run late, which throws a wrench into any travelers plans. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting on the first leg of my trip, a US Airways flight to Phoenix, excitedly planning out my vacation schedule. There I sit, and sit and sit... when finally the airline announces that our flight will be delayed. It's not uncommon for these flights to be delayed by at least an hour, which is really frustrating when the actual flight to Phoenix is only 20 minutes long, and the drive time to Phoenix is about one hour. There's a lot of people who feel it's just more practical to drive directly to Sky Harbor to ensure they're going to catch their flight. I'm now one of those people. I'd rather spend a little time and money driving to Phoenix then risk missing my connection because of flight delays.

US Airways isn't the only airline that has difficulties, they just seem to be the most consistent with their issues. Every airline that comes through the Tucson International Airport has their good days and bad. American sees weather and traffic congestion delays in Dallas all the time, but being delayed in Dallas doesn't bother me as much as being stuck in Phoenix. My word of advice is if you're flying US Airways through Phoenix, have a backup plan and a carry on!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

US Airways are shit.

Anonymous said...

These airlines include American, US Airways, Delta and Southwest.


___________________
Julie
Free HD DVR Receiver Upgrade