Sunday, February 24, 2008

How foreclosure affects your neighborhood


As I was perusing through home listings the other day I came across a property close to my neighborhood that had apparently been repossessed. I looked at the sales history and noticed that the home was currently bank owned and had been previously purchased for an extremely low price. Like anyone who might live around a home that's fallen into foreclosure, I was curious about how this would impact my home's value.

Still today there's a stigma about homes that fall into foreclosure. Many people assume that homes in foreclosure are dirty and damaged or located in bad parts of town, but it's not necessarily true. During the last several years a lot of buyers purchased homes they really couldn't afford, and circumstances have now put them in a position where they can't keep their homes. Foreclosures come in all shapes and sizes, from starter homes to mansions, and the impact they have on surrounding properties is being seen all over the nation.

So how do foreclosures affect neighboring properties? Surprisingly they really don't impact home prices too much unless there is a large concentration of them in a specific area. Most appraisers try to avoid using distressed homes in their comparables if they can. They'd rather pull comps from adjacent neighborhoods and adjust them for value before they'd include short sales or foreclosures in the mix. If there are other home sales to choose from the appraiser will use those and the impact should be minimal. If there's a larger ratio of foreclosures then there are normal home sales, then unfortunately those sales prices become the market value. Communities with high foreclosure rates can also affect house values because often they're neglected. Many times the homes are vacant so no one is maintaining the property. Sometimes these vacancies are drawing crime to the area. Too often buyers look at these neglected properties and see diminished value of the entire neighborhood, not just the homes in foreclosure.

So if you happen to notice a foreclosure in your neighborhood, don't worry too much about how it will impact the value of your home. One distressed property shouldn't affect your value at all. But if you notice that the home is vacant, it might be wise to work with neighbors to maintain the exterior by pulling weeds or keeping debris out of the yard. It's too easy for the landscape to get out of control, and that's the first thing home buyers see when they're researching a community. Better to focus on preventative maintenance now and keep those home values up!

8 comments:

RBChallenger said...

I would generally agree with your statement there. However, it is unfortunate for all of us Tucsonians that AZ as a whole is in the top 10 worst hit locations in the nation for the subprime crisis. Many buyers these days, including myself (having recently sold my house), wont even consider offering near asking price for 90% of hoems out there since there is SO much out there at deeply discounted prices. In order for the market to bounce back in any way I feel tehre needs to be a driving factor, I just do not see it right now. Whats yuor take on the situation?

Great blog!!!

Regards,
Rich
Tucson Complete

Valorie Bradley said...

Hi Rich,

Thanks for stopping by! I do agree that something needs to change for the market to stabilize. Although foreclosures aren't affecting the upper scale homes as much (over $500K), many of these homeowners are still faced with the problem of barely being able to afford their homes. They're trying to sell but can't because
1 - their market area is saturated with comparables that have more negotiating power (problems caused by overuse of home equity)
2 - the sad fact is a lot of buyers can't get the loans they need for these homes, no matter what their credit is like.
Until the rise in foreclosures slows down and those properties sell off, the lower end (below $250K) of the resale market doesn't stand a chance.

RBChallenger said...

Very well said in my opinion, I couldn't agree more. I actually really enjoy this blog!!! Would you mind if we got in contact to add the page to my Tucson Wiki. I think it would be great for the folks that visit to be able to find a realtor providing information such as that of this site. If you'd like to add any other information, info on communities etc... feel free. If you'd be interested let me know.. otherwise I'll just be content to stop in from time to time. :)

P.S. - Of course I meant in contact via email or whatever works best... ;)

Valorie Bradley said...

Hi Rich,

Guess I'm a little confused, could you elaborate please? I haven't had my morning coffee yet so my mind's a little fuzzy and I'm not sure what you're looking for...
You can email me at the address on the blog. Thanks!

RBChallenger said...

Sorry about that... heres an example. another realtor placed on there. There are two ways you can add your stuff there, register for an account and use Jeff's as a template or just send me the info you'd like on there and I can stick it up for you, then you can replace anything I mess up.

Its a pretty neat little site designed to give people a chance to virtually visit Tucson, an important aspect of that is of course real estate. It also provides a chance for people and businesses to advertise for free. No hidden agendas, I just like to learn about Tucson and feel it a valuable community asset.

Unknown said...

There are four foreclosures on my street - one right next door. Average working families lived in these homes. This is a nice neighborhood. They all bought at the peak and their homes are down anywhere from $50-$100K in value. So, they figured they'd cut their losses and move on instead of trying to wait it out. That's what I'm guessing anyway. I'm not too worried about my home value right now because I'm not planning on selling anytime soon. However, it's not fun.

Valorie Bradley said...

Hi Shailesh, There's a new home development just north of me with brand new homes (2006) priced in the $600-$800K range. The community isn't even complete yet and there are two short sales listed and another expired. There are another three homes currently on the market. Really very tragic...So far nothing in my own neighborhood, but I'm sure a lot of people maxed out their home equity so I'm just waiting to see if anything pops up. One of my neighbors is selling for much less then what they paid two years ago. Times are tough, espcially when you buy high!

Anonymous said...

. In order for the market to bounce back in any way I feel there needs to be a driving factor


___________________
Julie
Free HD DVR Receiver Upgrade