Thursday, September 13, 2007

NoRTH Restaurant; A Personal Favorite That Never Fails to Deliver



One of my favorite places to dine in Tucson will always be NoRTH restaurant in La Encantada shopping mall. Serving contemporary Italian in an open dining area that overlooks the city lights, NoRTH has got quite a reputation and following. It is the "hot spot" for those living the in Foothills, and has an urban feel that attracts those looking to "be seen". NoRTH serves both lunch and dinner, and prices are reasonable, with lunches ranging between $7 to $15 and dinners ranging from $12 to $30. Dress is casual, but I would say "Foothills casual" which means many of the people dining there are dressed to impress. If you plan on visiting on the weekend I would advise making a reservation as it can get very busy, particularly the bar area which seems to be the local after work favorite for the young business professionals in the area. When we visit NoRTH we enjoy sitting at the bar as seating there is open to the interior and exterior of the restaurant, making it a great place to pull up a chair and just people watch. They have a great wine selection as well as a martini menu and everything else you can think of. The dining room is beautiful but the tables are placed close together so be prepared to learn everything you ever wanted to know about those sitting next to you. The noise level is loud most of the time so it might not be the greatest place to dine if you're planning on an intimate conversation. Now to the food....


Unfortunately I tend to stick with those foods I really enjoy and never experience the full menu, but at NoRTH I have ventured out and found I like pretty much everything. I almost always start with the Spinach salad, which is sprinkled with goat cheese and tossed in a Pancetta vinaigrette. I was really lost when there was a national recall on spinach this last Spring and I couldn't get my Spinach salad! If I'm not in the mood for the salad I will get the Calamari, which is served on a bed of Arugula that's been tossed in a lemon vinaigrette. It's incredible, that's all I can say. For those afternoons when we're eating light my husband and I will split a pizza, and I have to say they are about the best in town. The crust is very thin and slightly crisp, and North has some unusual combinations that are pretty incredible. If I'm really hungry then I have the difficult decision of choosing between the Chicken Parmigiana and the Short Rib "Osso Buco". The chicken, a huge moist breast that's served golden brown and slightly crispy, is topped off with fresh tomato marinara and mozzarella, and few butter rigatoni to accent. Every time I've had the chicken it's been incredible. The Short Rib "Osso Buco" is my comfort food; I feel guilty and peaceful every time I take a bite. And the white polenta that is served with this dish is the perfect compliment to the rich and slightly tangy sauce. If I'm feeling healthy I get the Salmon with roasted squash and sweet onions, which is delicious, but I'm partial to my comfort food. Deserts....well I have trouble getting to that course most of the time. They have the standards such as Tiramisu, Cheesecake and Creme Brulee. The few items I've had have been mediocre, but I'm VERY picky when it comes to dessert. You just got to try everything and see what you like.


Everyone I have referred to NoRTH has had a great experience. It's a lively and chic atmosphere that consistently provides great food and service. If you live in Tucson or are just visiting, I recommend stopping by NoRTH and checking it out. Who knows who you might see!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite places to dine in Tucson will always be NoRTH restaurant in La Encantada shopping mall.
___________________
Julie
Entertainment at one stop

Anonymous said...

I like the restaurant. get know about Homes For Sale in Tucson AZ and also in cheap cost.