Friday, September 28, 2007

Ramblings of a Tucson Runner



This is my first official "runners ramble" so please bear with me. I love to run. Running ties with eating as my favorite thing to do. Luckily they seem to offset each other! I run 4-5 days a week, and I always appreciate what a great city Tucson is for runners. The Tucson climate is perfect, dry and cool in the mornings, and the scenery is beautiful so it makes long runs a little easier. Most of the streets in Tucson have bike lanes on each side of the road, and this is where I choose to run. I run against traffic (I like to see impending death if it's approaching me head on), and I avoid the sidewalk because the surface is harder to run on (concrete) and it's usually occupied with walkers and their dogs. I'm partial to Oro Valley because that's where I live, and I've got several running routes that take me various distances. I've never found traffic to be a problem when I run. Most drivers are considerate and pay attention to their surroundings.



There are a lot of great "runs" in Tucson depending on what the type of terrain you like. You'll find your typical street runs, but there are parks and hiking trails that really give you a great run if you're up for them. Some of the local favorites are -



  • Sabino Canyon - which is a paved road with lots of hills. It's about 8 miles round trip, and you're surrounded by mountains, plants and creeks. There are restrooms and water fountains available.


  • Catalina State Park - located in Oro Valley, there's a 2 mile paved road that takes you up to some hiking with unmatched views of Pusch Ridge.


  • Rillito River Path - Great path that follows the banks of the Rillito River. It's a concrete path so it can be rough on the legs, but it's a straight 10 mile path that's very scenic. It's multi use so you need to watch out for walkers, bicyclists etc.


  • For more popular running paths visit the Southern Arizona Roadrunners website

Several of my out of state clients are runners and considered Tucson real estate because the climate is perfect for outdoor activities. It's great motivation when you know the weather isn't going to be an obstacle. I'm the type of runner that won't run unless I do it first thing in the morning, before I let myself find an excuse to not go. The great thing about Tucson is you only need to walk out your front door to find a good place to run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is my first official "runners ramble" so please bear with me. I love to run. Running ties with eating as my favorite thing to do.

___________________
Julie
Entertainment at one stop