Monday, October 15, 2007

Just being Philosophical / The Importance of Good Neighbors


Just a note regarding my personal thoughts on the importance of being happy in your neighborhood. I organize parties and events for my own neighborhood and this weekend we had a community BBQ in front of our house. As we all relaxed while enjoying our conversations in the cool Tucson temperatures, I realized how much I value my neighbors. It also made me think about the many homeowners that underestimate the importance of getting to know their neighbors. So many just go on with their daily activities, not waving to "Bob" next door as they pull out of their driveway each morning. They don't realize the impact a good "community relationship" can have for them personally or when it comes time to sell their home.

When you ask someone to list the five things that are most important to them in choosing the right home, living in a "good neighborhood" is usually on that list. What's considered a "good neighborhood" is all relative. Some families feel that a community with lots of children and top rated schools makes a good neighborhood. Others feel that having a home located close to restaurants and shopping in downtown Tucson makes a good neighborhood. I think it all depends on your current stage in life. Before I was an emotional buyer and it was all about the pretty kitchen and mountain views, but now that I've been in my home awhile it's become about so much more. Now I look for the potential to build relationships with those living in my community.

This weekend gave my neighbors and I the chance to sit down and discuss what's new in our lives. I really enjoyed hearing about Ralph's newest grandson and Bob and Sue's next trip. My husband and I have created a lot of special bonds and many of our neighbors feel like family to us. I mention this to various friends or clients and most are amazed that we like to spend time with our neighbors. Many comment "It must be nice to like your neighbors" or "I wish my neighborhood was like yours". I take it for granted now, but I think that our close knit community draws some home buyers in for this very reason. It's as simple as a resident waving to a potential buyer as he drives by or a buyer seeing neighbors casually chatting in their front yard. Whatever "it" is, it's enough for a potential buyer to say "Wow, this seems like a nice neighborhood. This is where I want to live."

Now I know there are lots of neighborhoods that aren't the friendliest and you can't change who your neighbors are. There are some people that just may not want to be friendly. But you can smile and wave when you see them. Maybe all it takes to create a friendly neighborhood is someone willing to break the ice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just being Philosophical / The Importance of Good Neighbors
___________________
Julie
Entertainment at one stop