Friday, October 5, 2007

October events in Tucson

Since Fall is officially here in the Old Pueblo, I thought I'd mention some of my favorite October activities that occur in and around the Tucson community. Temperatures generally start to cool down quite a bit this time of the year, and some of us native Tucsonans even need jackets in the early morning hours. It's this weather that really entices folks in cold weather climates to consider Tucson for a second home. Nothing better than spending your winters in Tucson, enjoying 75 degree temperatures and no snow! Anyway, on to my list......

  • Visit a farmers market - You can find a farmers market almost anywhere and on almost any day of the week in Tucson. One of my favorites is the St. Philips Plaza farmers market, which is located in Tucson's Catalina Foothills. It's great to wander thru the market under a canopy of mesquite trees as the breeze is blowing. It's even better when you eye all the breads and pastries that are available. It's worth checking out; lots of fresh goodies and the produce during the Fall months is much better in my opinion. For a full list of Tucson farmers markets visit the Arizona Daily Star.

  • As I've mentioned before I'm a runner, so I love October in Tucson; cooler temperatures and a few great races that lead up to the big daddy run in December. Get Moving Tucson is a 10 mile race that's a perfect training run for the Tucson Marathon and Half Marathon. The route takes you through scenic downtown Tucson and there aren't a lot of hills so I really enjoy this run. Last year there were about 700 runners in this 10 miler, so like most races you'll want to start off at the front of the pack or you'll get stuck in the crowd and lose your time. It's a competitive race so you are provided with a chip to wear, and remember that that are some SERIOUS runners using this race to train (a 4.51 minute mile? Believe me it's possible) . There's also a 5K run and non competitive family fun walk. Great way to enjoy the cool temperatures and get fit in Tucson.

    • The SAHBA Home and Garden Show is a huge event in Tucson. With over 400 merchants in this expo, you'll get ideas for a million little "household projects" that you can put on your husband's to do list. I'm really glad that this event is held in the Fall because parking can be difficult to find and the cooler temperatures make it easier to walk three blocks to the expo. Still it's worth it when you get to check out all the cool new gadgets and trends for your home and garden.
    • Since I'm still a kid at heart and Tucson doesn't see the same seasonal changes that other parts of the country do, it sometimes hard to believe that we've transitioned into Fall. Nothing says Halloween to me like picking my own pumpkin at one of the local pumpkin farms. I like to go to the Buckelew Farm just SW of Tucson because they have wagon rides and other fun stuff. Really great for kids as well as adults who are looking to feel a little of that Halloween spirit. I also like to visit the Reid Park Zoo for their Howl-o-ween celebration. Lots of trick- or- treaters and decorations. Pretty spooky!

    • I think my favorite Fall activity in Tucson actually involves leaving Tucson! We love taking road trips, which is exactly what we'll be doing this weekend. Tucson is located close to so many different scenic areas and attractions; when cooler temperatures hit it makes for great weekend trips. And most of these trips allow you to see those seasonal changes that we lack in Tucson. I'll be taking lots of photos so that I can begin my official Tucson Road Trips entry once I get back.


    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    It's this weather that really entices folks in cold weather climates to consider Tucson for a second home.
    ___________________
    Julie
    Entertainment at one stop