Saturday, October 20, 2007

Tucson yard sales; does a weaker economy mean more haggling?



My community had their annual yard sale this morning. I collect goodies all year long for this event and then rip my house apart the day before to find anything else that a potential buyer might see as a "treasure" they can't live without. October is really yard sale month in Northwest Tucson; beautiful cool mornings and sunlight by 7am, which is the general start time for yard sales. Rancho Vistoso is home to A LOT of community sales; today included the two large communities of Sun City and Copper Creek, my own neighborhood of Vistoso Ridge and lots of independent estate sales throughout the area.

I'm always amazed at how intense some of the "shoppers" are and how early begin their days. I opened my front door at 6:15 to load sale signs into my car for my husband to put out, and I saw three or four trucks cruising our streets, looking to score an early purchase of two. Once the official sale began, our streets were blocked with cars and trucks for the next three hours. I've got to say it's exciting when you have so many people checking out all your old stuff and the dollar signs begin to flash before your eyes. I did notice this year that shoppers were haggling much more then they did in the past. Is this a reflection of the state of our economy or are yard sale shoppers just becoming more wise and experienced? Who knows, but I was really devastated when nobody bought my $10 artificial Xmas tree; it was a steal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...

___________________
Julie
Entertainment at one stop